Bruneian citizens wanting to travel to Australia are obliged to first apply for and obtain an electronic travel authorization (ETA) from home country before traveling.
The Australian ETA for Bruneian citizens can be obtained for tourism or business purposes. Travelers may either apply for a 3-month, 6-month or a 12-month ETA validity or as long as the traveler’s passport is valid, whichever one is shorter.
The Australian ETA for citizens of Brunei Darussalam supports multiple entries, meaning travelers can leave and re-enter as many times as necessary during its validity. However, it is impossible to remain in Australia longer than 3 months at a time.
Visa validity starts since the date granted, whereas the 3-month stay period starts from the date travelers enter Australia.
All travelers need to fill in the Australian ETA application form while outside Australia and are allowed to either apply online or through airline service providers, specialist service providers or travel agents.
Do Bruneian Citizens Need a Visa to Enter Australia?
Citizens of Brunei Darussalam along with citizens of 8 other countries are eligible and required to apply for an Australian ETA in order to enter Australia since 1996, whereas online application became available in 2001.
The Australian visa for Bruneians grants travelers the possibility to:
- Visit family or friends
- Enjoy holidays or cruises
- Business visits, meetings and conferences
- Study or train for up to 3 months
- Provide volunteer work without payment
- NOT ALLOWED TO: Sell goods or services
- NOT ALLOWED TO: Provide services or work for an organization or business based in Australia
All family members must apply separately, including minors. However, minors included on the parent’s passports are allowed to travel through their parent’s ETA linked on the passport number.
Extending the ETA is currently not possible. Travelers must apply for a new one in case of longer stay. Applying for the new ETA in this case requires the traveler to be outside Australia.
In case of passport loss or change, travelers must apply for a new ETA as electronic visas are not transferrable between passports.
What Documents are Required for Bruneian Citizens for the Australian ETA?
The application process for the Australian visa for citizens of Brunei Darussalam is simple and can be done online. Applicant must not have any criminal record and have medical insurance. The following are the Australian visa requirements for Bruneian citizens:
- Passport that is valid for at least 3 months counting from the date of arrival in Australia
- Proof of good health
- Proof of no costly or short in supply medical or community services that deny access to the same services for Australian citizens and permanent residents
- Criminal conviction history, no sentencing of 12 months or more of jail-time (whether served or not)
- Valid credit/debit card for visa fee payment
- Valid email address
- Proof of sufficient funds
Additionally, travelers may also be required to go through medical examinations in order to be able to enter Australia. Other documents that may be required are proof of good conduct that may be issued by an employer.
The following are the health requirements and character requirements in order to be able to enter Australia:
- Free of tuberculosis at the time of travel
- Not threaten the Australian public health
- No significant healthcare and community service costs
- No demand on the Australian healthcare or community services that are in short supply and in this way, interfere with the access to these services by the Australian citizens and permanent residents
- No criminal convictions, with a sentence for 12 months or more
- Truthfully answering questions
- Provide the information required
- Declare all criminal conduct, if any
The Australian Government must be notified in case travelers:
- Change their phone number, address, passport or email address
- Change the status of relationship
- Give birth to a child
Apply for an Australian ETA from Brunei Darussalam
To apply for an Australian visa from Brunei Darussalam, applicants must provide the following basic personal answers on the application form:
- Passport information – passport number, expiry date, nationality
- Personal information – full name, address, birthdate
- Security information – history of criminal conviction
- Health history information – medical history and vaccinations
- Travel plans – hotel bookings, dates
It is advisable to double-check all information provided in case of any mistakes which may prolong the application screening or cause application rejection altogether.
Once submitted, the screening time usually takes up to a maximum of 3 business days. If any additional documents may be required, this process, however, will take longer.
Upon approval, applicants will receive the ETA via email address. Although the Australian ETA will be electronically linked to the traveler’s passport, it is required to keep a copy of the printed ETA email to present to border officials, together with the passport.
If applicants are refused their Australian ETA applications, the reasons of refusal and information whether the right to do a review of the decision and the dates will be sent to the applicant through email.
Travelers allowed to apply for the Australian visa online will be able to check their application status after 12 hours through the reference number that will be sent to the email provided.